Back-to-School Season Spurs Increase in Global eCommerce Transactions, According to Latest ACI Worldwide Data
Stationery, DIY desks, digital course material, apparel and electronics among popular back-to-school items purchased online amidst pandemic
“The increase in eCommerce transactions in August compared to the previous month can be attributed primarily to back-to-school purchases as students and families face the new normal this fall,” said
The gaming sector continued to see significant growth in August (109%) compared to July (52%), driven by new game releases as well as stay-at-home restrictions that are forcing consumers to find indoor entertainment. Pet supplies also saw increased demand (94%) from January through
eCommerce purchasing trends:
Educational product purchases (pens, pencils, notebooks, digital books, course materials) increased 56 percent.
- Purchase of course materials increased 75 percent.
- Sectors that continue to experience major increase in purchases in August include gaming (109% increase) and retail (44% increase).
- Sectors that continue to experience major decrease in purchases in August include travel (13% decrease) and ticketing (80% decrease).
The average ticket price of genuine purchases dropped by
$26in 2020 compared to 2019.
Purchase volume increased YoY in all regions:
U.S.up 11 percent, driven by back-to-school items such as clothing, stationery and electronics
- EMEA up 13 percent, driven by purchases of back-to-school and DIY items
- Transactional value of fraud attempts increased 0.4 percent in August, driven by purchases of electronics, with buy online, pick-up in-store being the channel of choice for fraudsters.
The average ticket price for fraud attempts increased by
$7in the period January through August 2020, compared to the same period in 2019.
Non-fraud chargebacks* increased by 17 percent in
August 2020compared to August 2019.
*As chargebacks take approximately 45 days to process, the most current complete data is from